This article on overcoming fear is an introduction to our series of 24 teachings, "Matters of the Heart," our eCourse for spiritual growth and emotional transformation. The Main Healing Lessons are available as a complete set in our workbook which can be purchased as a download or ordered through the mail and are also available on CD and DVD as 24, 1/2 hour teachings.
Overcoming fear is a crucial part of our freedom in Christ. Are you anxious, do you experience dread over certain events, are you weighted down with concerns, are you chronically worried, do you get stressed out, are you shy around people, do you avoid speaking in public, or run from times of conflict and confrontation? All these are forms of fear we must overcome. Fear is a mighty stronghold that the enemy seeks to build in every believer to quench faith, stymie love and turn us away from the challenges of the high calling.
And he builds it upon other strongholds we may be dealing with. For instance, Unbelief in God’s perfect love is the root to all fears; Accusation makes us feel cut off and condemned; Bitterness binds the pain of the past to us; unhealed Trauma makes our world feel very insecure; Rejection sends frightful messages to our heart; Self-rejection blocks us from believing that God really can love us, Envy/jealousy insist that others are getting a better deal; and Occult involvement always brings massive amounts of fear. No wonder that fear is something of an emotional pandemic!
In overcoming fear we will need to learn how to break the grip of the above strongholds upon our emotional life (see the list of workbook lessons posted on this site for the appropriate chapters). We will also need to learn the many ways of gaining freedom from fear itself (see Fear Not!). Consider the following:
1) Let perfect love cast out fear (1 John 4:18-19). Work on renewing the true image of God in your heart. Keep your thoughts fixed on who our God really is (Isaiah 26:3).
2) Let the Word undercut the power of fear (John 8:32). Increase faith and trust by staying in God’s Word (Romans 10:17). Scriptures really do counter fear, especially if we are holding on to them for dear life.
3) To overcome we must resist fear. Keep obeying despite your fears (James 4:7-8). Don’t give ground to the enemy. The truth is we grow in faith by leaning hard on God due to our fears.
4) Let deliverance cast fear out. Call a friend who can do spiritual warfare.
5) Let loving release fears from your heart—love cats, dogs, friendly people. Love in your heart will cast out fear, just as knowing God’s perfect love for you casts out fear.
6) Let laughter release fears from your heart (Proverbs 17:22).
7) Let a willingness to die to self release you from fear. Surrender always brings peace and release. Self protection is the root of many fears (Luke 9:23-25).
8) Let prayer put your fears to rest as you release your concerns to God. Cast your cares on Him (Philippians 4:6-7). We are overcoming fear when we cast our cares upon Him.
9) Learn to recognize the voice of fear (the way it impresses upon you) and stop listening to it (Hebrews 5:14).
10) Confess fear as the sin of not trusting God (Romans 14:23). Receive His forgiveness and ask Him to go to work to restore you to full faith Hebrews 4:16).
The very best time to overcome fear is when you first discern it (Psalm 56:3-4). Even so, don’t expect to walk in perfect freedom from fear—even the bravest people still know the feeling of fear. They just don’t let it control them. So, be well content to learn steady, patient perseverance at working the above pathways and you will eventually gain great victories in overcoming fear.
Do not fear your fears--
This stronghold can certainly be cast down!
Consider taking the eCourse!
For further study and for help working these truths into your heart and life, "work out" with extended teachings, exercises, discussion questions, review of main points, digging deeper, more scriptures, model prayers, renunciations/affirmations and practical steps of life application. In all there are 24 Main Healing Lessons and 24 Head to Heart Guides to help you bring your heart to God and receive His Great Heart for you in return!
Or better yet, let us minister to you in person
--at one of our Savannah Seminars...